Friday 7 April 2017

And the next week...

I sneak out of work on Tuesday to meet up with Kinver Canopies at the boat. They are quoting us for a dodger around our stern rail, we've decided to go this way as we are going to have Grandchildren on board before too long and we think it'll give us a little bit more security at the stern.

The week drags on, can't wait for retirement next year, our first Granddaughter duly arrives on Thursday morning and then it's Friday. I decided during last nights hospital visit that I would take the day off. We plan to spend the weekend on the boat doing all of the little jobs I had lined up for last weekend, but we went cruising instead, and if we weren't cruising we were drinking wine! We are also introducing our cat to the boat, should be interesting this!

Piper barge 'Steel Away' is now here having been launched on Wednesday, looks just as shiny as Deep Thought.

And, yes, we get things done, some coat / lifejacket hooks in the wheelhouse, a hook in the day loo for guest towels etc, we sort out our water hose by managing to roll it onto its reel without too many kinks and go on to fill the water tank - which takes ages! And we eventually meet David and Angela Steel of 'Steel Away'

Now what else? Oh yes we go shopping for some more stuff, plate racks, side plates, another door mat, a coffee table, a mop, many things that we didn't know we wanted!! Then i get to grips with sorting out the gear in the TV cupboard, Satellite receiver, DVD player, tidying away the spare cables and getting the required ones as neat as possible! Everything still works afterwards which is good, we can even get IPlayer etc now using our 4g router which is linked to the satellite box. I sort out manuals, equipment data sheets, tidy stuff away and fit a voltage regulator to the 12V supply for the blind (a phonecall in the week says 12V should be ok, but a regulator should be fitted as the blind motors are a bit fussy!)  And I generally just find home for the stuff we've loaded onto the boat and think that we may need one day!!

On Sunday Penny goes to Newbury to see Daughter & Granddaughter, I rejig the mooring lines and fenders, then sort out my tools into my shiny new toolbox in the engine room. I bump into Chris and Sara who are having a 49M 2 cabin started in May, I show them around and have a bit of a chat about things 49M design! I go for coffee with David and Angela on Steel Away and have a good natter about all things Piper, good to meet them after all this time, our boats built pretty much together at Piper.

Penny returns and we set about clearing up and returning to the real world, I don't really want to go and would happily stay the night and go to work from here in the morning, shame I didn't bring any extra clothes, and the chicken for tonight's roast is at home!!

I do however unexpectedly return on Monday evening, I get a message from David of Steel Away to say that we left our wheelhouse roof hatch open, he most kindly offers to close it, but it's too late as I'm already in the car and on the way to do it myself, and of course to deliver a few more bits of essential gear.


Till the next time... (I really must take some more pictures!!)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, roll on retirement next year! We're fortunate to have built up lots of long service leave, so have had some long breaks to cruise. I presume you are going to only be able to make relatively short cruises for the next little while then? Still, gives you lots to look forward to for each weekend.

    ReplyDelete